Islamic State took Responsibility for the Attack in Marseille

Islamic State took Responsibility for the Attack in Marseille

Islamic State took Responsibility for the Attack in Marseille

Police sources said the suspect had shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) in Arabic as he attacked the women at Marseille's main railway station on Sunday, in what officials described as a "probable terrorist act".

The suspect was shot by a military patrol after killing two women, the police said.

Authorities opened a terrorism investigation, and the Paris prosecutor is giving a news conference about the attack later on Monday.

French Police have warned people to stay clear of the main train station in Marseille, amid reports of a knife attacker shot dead by police.

While Interior Minister Gerard Collomb defends the bill as a "lasting response to a lasting threat", it has come under fire from the French left and human rights groups.

Police say one of the women had her throat slit, while the other was stabbed in the chest and stomach.

French authorities are studying the suspect's phone and working to determine whether he had accomplices or direct links to the Islamic State group, which claimed responsibility for the stabbing on Sunday local time.

Earlier this month, four American university students studying overseas were splashed with acid at Saint Charles, the same train station that was the scene of Sunday's attack. It's not clear if the attacker had any connection to the victims - two cousins who had met for a birthday celebration.

A man stabbed at least two people to death on Sunday at a train station in Marseille, France's second-largest city.


French counterterrorism authorities are investigating the attack.

"It may well be that certain individuals who were already radicalized and just waiting for the opportunity to strike will be incentivized to strike now given there's an uptick in violence", Abrahms said.

"The rapid reaction of security forces at the scene probably prevented the assailant from causing more deaths".

The soldiers have been deployed since the 2015 attacks in Paris, which killed 130 people.

France has been the Western country hardest hit by Islamic terror attacks in recent years.

Mr Collomb said on Twitter he was heading to Marseilles.

France has been repeatedly targeted by IS and has been active in the anti-IS coalition since 2014.

Troops serving in the force known as Operation Sentinel, responded to the stabbings and they shot dead the attacker, whose identity remains unknown.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]