US Firm to Resume Search for Missing Malaysian Flight

US Firm to Resume Search for Missing Malaysian Flight

US Firm to Resume Search for Missing Malaysian Flight

Kuala Lumpur: The Malaysian government has agreed to an offer by a USA exploration firm to resume the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on a "no cure, no fee" basis, Transportation Minister Liow Tiong Lai said on Saturday.

The news came after the company, Ocean Infinity, said this week it had already dispatched a research vessel towards the expected search zone as it believed a deal would be finalised imminently.

MH370, carrying 239 on board, went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

That expanse adjoins the original search zone far southwest of Australia that was identified through satellite analysis of the final hours of the flight, which apparently ended when the plane ran out of fuel.

The bulk of the s aircraft has never been found, and in January 2017, the search was discontinued.

"It is our duty to look for answers and the plane, and as of today the government has chose to go ahead with the search", he said.

A spokesman for the company added: "The company are awaiting final contract award before the search recommences".

News of the decision was also sent to relatives of those on board the doomed jet.

Several pieces of aircraft debris have been collected from Indian Ocean islands and along Africa's east coast, with at least three being confirmed as being from the missing plane.

"They (Ocean Infinity) know we are very serious about taking their offer", he told AFP.

Ocean Infinity was one of three companies which had bid to resume the hunt.

Nonetheless, Ocean Infinity is reportedly confident it can locate the wreckage using intelligence from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau and Boeing flight simulators, in conjunction with the vessel's enhanced search equipment, according to the Daily Express.

Related news