Donald Trump Wants Transgender People Banned from Military

Donald Trump Wants Transgender People Banned from Military

Donald Trump Wants Transgender People Banned from Military

"This Trump-Pence plan categorically bans transgender people from service, with no legitimate basis", added Jennifer Levi, transgender right project director for GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders, in a statement.

Following a Pentagon policy review after a tweet by President Donald Trump previous year, the White House said the policy will say "transgender persons with a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria - individuals who the policies state may require substantial medical treatment, including medications and surgery - are disqualified from military service except under certain limited circumstances".

The White House said Defence Secretary Jim Mattis had found that individuals with a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria presented a risk to military effectiveness.

"I hereby revoke my memorandum of August 25, 2017", Trump wrote in a memorandum.

The president gave Defense Secretary James Mattis six months to develop proposals for transgender individuals now serving, and Mattis submitted his recommendations last month, but those recommendations have not been revealed.

This decision is an insult to our fearless transgender service members and all who wear United States uniform, said the Democratic Party.

Mattis has emphasized the readiness of troops to deploy and fight. Generally, these new policies are subject to a public comment period before they are officially enacted.

The requirements make it challenging for a transgender recruit to pass.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., called Trump a coward.


"This latest memorandum is the same cowardly, disgusting ban the President announced last summer", she said. "No one with the strength and bravery to serve in the USA military should be turned away because of who they are".

"After consultation with my generals and military experts, please be advised that the US government will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the USA military", the president said then, though the announcement seemed to catch the Pentagon off guard.

This article has been updated with a statement from the Justice Department and Department of Defense. In a February memorandum to the White House, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis reassured those now serving that they could continue to serve if they had been diagnosed with gender dysphoria after Obama's policy took effect.

On Friday, the Pentagon reaffirmed that it would continue to comply with federal law.

Xavier Becerra, the attorney general for California, said his state will fight the ban.

Mattis announced shortly after receiving the memo that transgender troops could continue serving while the Pentagon studied the issue. Dozens of transgender recruits have signed up since becoming eligible January 1. A Rand Corp study estimates there are 2,500 transgender personnel serving in active duty, and 1,500 in the reserves.

The new directive was also to end payments for gender reassignment surgeries for those in the military, as well as other medical treatments for gender transitioning.

The policy for transgender troops was established in 2016 by then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter. In a tweet, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi called the ban "hateful" and created to "humiliate our courageous transgender members of the military who serve with honor and dignity".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]