Pounds Of Chinese Space Junk Just Crashed Into The Ocean

Pounds Of Chinese Space Junk Just Crashed Into The Ocean

Pounds Of Chinese Space Junk Just Crashed Into The Ocean

It was launched in September 2011 as a prototype for China's ultimate space goal of a permanent space station that is expected to launch around 2022.

A Chinese space-flight engineer denied earlier this year that the lab was out of control. "Additionally, it was not mentioned whether the reentry was to be targeted or remain uncontrolled". The impact zone was relatively close to Point Nemo, a spot in the Pacific used to dump deorbited spacecraft. Several space crafts or stations have re-entered our atmosphere in the past, and this most recent one is just another instance in which a person was not killed or injured. But this spacecraft was large and multilayered enough that it was possible at least some segments or parts would survive the reentry. They couldn't predict exactly where it would land, but they agreed that the chances of anyone getting hit by falling debris were next to none. The story ended with the fall of the apparatus into the ocean. U.S. military radars at the Joint Force Space Component Command (JFSCC) tracked the object and confirmed reentry on April 1 - no joke.

Astrophysicist Brad Tucker of Australian National University called Tiangong 1's re-entry "mostly successful".

"Most likely the debris is in the ocean, and even if people stumbled over it, it would just look like rubbish in the ocean and be spread over a huge area of thousands of square kilometers", Tucker said.

We've anticipated Tiangong-1's homecoming since 2016, when abnormalities in the space station's orbit suggested that the Chinese space agency had lost control of it. Space experts lauded it as an important achievement. Indeed, the space station's case highlights the fact that scientists still don't have the necessary technology or research to wrangle the significant number of variables that factor into tracking and modeling such situations.

Tiangong-1 was lofted on September 29, 2011, and had a projected two-year lifespan.

The station is 34 feet long and once housed three Chinese astronauts in 2013.

Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, tweeted that the Tiangong-1 came down northwest of Tahiti.

The Tiangong-1 saga is finally over.

"The JFSCC works alongside government, industry and worldwide partners to track and report reentries, to include today's Tiangong-1 reentry, because the space domain is vital to our shared global security interests", said Major General Stephen Whiting, deputy commander of JFSCC.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]