Sheriff Says There Were Paid Protesters At The Vigil For Stephon Clark

Sheriff Says There Were Paid Protesters At The Vigil For Stephon Clark

Sheriff Says There Were Paid Protesters At The Vigil For Stephon Clark

The officers say they believe Clark pointed a gun at them, but he was only holding a cell phone.

Former Sacramento Kings forward Matt Barnes on Saturday led demonstrators in California's capital in a protest rally over the police killing of an unarmed black man who - an independent autopsy found - was shot multiple times in the back. He also said the shooting showed a pattern of "brutalization of African-Americans by law enforcement". "So remember that - while we mourn, while we shout, while we cry - because it ain't just our pain, it's their pain".

Stevante was at the plaza before the event began but became agitated as crowds flocked around Barnes calling the event a photo-op. "You're trying to tell me I can kill someone and get a paid vacation?" An autopsy showed Clark was hit eight times, mostly in the back, according to The Washington Post. SPD is waiting for an official autopsy from the county coroner's office before commenting further on the incident.

A woman taking part in demonstrations against the police murder of Stephon Clark Saturday evening had to be transported to the hospital after a Sacramento County sheriff's deputy struck her with his SUV and fled the scene.

The statement also said the sheriff's vehicle, which was surrounded by protesters yelling and pounding on the auto, "sustained scratches, dents, and a shattered rear window".

"But one black man doesn't make everybody guilty". The chairman of a police oversight commission urged attendees to continue their activism by showing up to meetings and pushing for systemic change.

The incident is under investigation by the California Highway Patrol while the department conducts an internal review, Hampton added.

News reports suggest the police officer in the cruiser may not have known he hit the protester.

Police have not yet released their own autopsy.

Clark's death was "not instantaneous", Omalu told reporters, estimating the father of two died between three and 10 minutes after being shot.

A "necessary force" standard would mean officers would not be allowed to shoot someone unless "there were no other reasonable alternatives to the use of deadly force" to stop the person from causing serious injury or death to another person, ACLU legislative advocate Lizzie Buchen said, KCRA reported. He said it was unclear if Clark would have survived had he gotten immediate medical attention.

"The woman was walking in between the two vehicles, stopped in front of the deputy's vehicle, put up her hand in a stop sign and the vehicle accelerated- accelerated very fast - and struck her violently", said Guy Danilowitz with the National Lawyers Guild, who was present during the protest.

The Clark family's lawyer, Benjamin Crump, said that the results contradict the police narrative of what happened the night he was killed.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]