Protests shut down Philadelphia Starbucks over arrests of black men

Protests shut down Philadelphia Starbucks over arrests of black men

Protests shut down Philadelphia Starbucks over arrests of black men

Protesters targeted a Philadelphia Starbucks on Monday after two black men were arrested last week when a store employee called police to say the men were trespassing. Picketers were chanting, "A whole lot of racism, a whole lot of crap, Starbucks coffee is anti-black", according to The Daily Beast. His appearance coincided with protests against Starbucks in Philadelphia in support of the two arrested men, who were detained but not charged. One of the men asked to use the restroom, but an employee denied the request saying they had not bought anything. The coffee chain is facing protests and boycott threats after two black men were arrested for not making a purchase and refusing to leave the store.

The two men were arrested by police, but were later released because of lack of evidence a crime had be committed.

Starbucks initially refused to point blame at the unnamed manager, but has since thenannouncedthat she was leaving the store, in what Starbucks called a "mutual decision". Starbucks did not respond to a request for comment about the employment status of the manager who called police.

"Every company makes mistakes, but great companies are the ones that learn from those mistakes and take appropriate action", Johnson said Monday.

"If there's one thing that America has shown us, there's only two ways that you can get their attention- the loss of life and the loss of finances", T.I. continued.

But he said the men "did absolutely nothing wrong".

"That ambiguity was part of what caused the problem, the ambiguity about when and whether to call the police", he said. He did not mention the person who said he was meeting with the men.

The men were taken to a police station, where they were fingerprinted and photographed, their attorney Lauren Wimmer told The Washington Post on Saturday. If there's a threat or a major disturbance in the store, certainly that would be an appropriate time to call the police.

Reggie Shuford, executive director of the ACLU of Pennsylvania, said: "Black Philadelphians face daily indignities when they are simply trying to go about their business".

After making two public statements over the weekend, Johnson flew to Philadelphia to apologize directly to the two men, who were eventually released with no charges.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]