U.S. Expands China Health Alert Amid Mysterious Illness Reports

U.S. Expands China Health Alert Amid Mysterious Illness Reports

U.S. Expands China Health Alert Amid Mysterious Illness Reports

Cuba said it sent investigators to the home who found no potential source of a sound and were not granted access to the official.

Doctors said in February that the symptoms among some 24 Havana embassy staffers were similar to those caused by concussions - headaches, balance problems, sleep disturbances and visual and hearing difficulties.

CNN reported earlier this week a number of USA personnel in China have been sent back to the United States for further health screenings after concerns over reports of mysterious acoustic incidents similar to the Cuba "sonic attacks".

Until Friday, the most recent suspicious incidents disclosed by the U.S.in Cuba had been in August 2017, leading many to suspect that the incidents had stopped.

United States of America has recalled two members of a diplomatic mission in Cuba to survey for possible traumatic brain injury, told The Associated Press from three us official.

The US embassy's latest health alert, the second in two weeks, said that following voluntary medical screenings, the State Department "has sent other individuals to the United States for further evaluation".


"If the U.S. makes formal contact with us, China will continue necessary investigations in an earnest and responsible manner and maintain close communication and cooperation with the U.S.", Hua said at a regularly scheduled news conference. The Foreign Ministry said Thursday the US had not formally raised the matter with Beijing. The team arrived in Guangzhou last week to begin evaluating Americans and will go next to Beijing.

The AP reported that the workers were being examined at the University of Pennsylvania, which is treating and studying other Americans affected by the mysterious incidents.

A security person walks outside the US consulate building in Guangzhou in south China's Guangdong province, Thursday, June 7.

The alert comes as a USA medical team is screening more Americans who work at the Guangzhou consulate.

Cuba has denied targeting embassy staff, and the U.S. has not blamed the country's government for the suspected attacks. The Guangzhou consulate opened months after the establishment of diplomatic relations between Beijing and Washington in 1979 and moved to its new purpose-built facility in 2013.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]