Thai Cave Rescue: How Elon Musk's 'Kid-Size' Submarine Could Assist Mission

Thai Cave Rescue: How Elon Musk's 'Kid-Size' Submarine Could Assist Mission

Thai Cave Rescue: How Elon Musk's 'Kid-Size' Submarine Could Assist Mission

At a news conference Monday, former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said the second rescue involved numerous same divers who brought out the four boys on Sunday.

On Sunday, the first four boys were rescued and were taken to a hospital in Chiang Rai for evaluation.

The third phase of the operation to begin in "20 hours".

Then came the letters carried out by the teams of divers who took oxygen, food and medicine to the boys' refuge as experts pondered whether to dive them out or provision them for months while the monsoon season continues until at least late October.

The extreme danger of the rescue effort was underscored last week when a former Thai Navy SEAL, Samarn Poonan, died after he fell unconscious while placing oxygen tanks deep inside the cave.

After his visit, he went to Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital to visit the rescued boys.

The rescued boys are being kept in sterilized isolation units at a nearby hospital, which prohibits physical contact, and their parents have not been told they're safe. "We have to quarantine them for a little while due to fear of infection".

Today's fantastic news ends a 17-day ordeal after the boys and their coach were trapped inside the cave on June 23.

Five boys have been rescued till now, and divers are continuing with the rescue operations. Four more boys and the coach remain in the cave.

And he has been true to his word, sending some of his top engineers to Thailand to help with the rescue, saying: "There are probably many complexities that are hard to appreciate without being there in person".

It is reported that the remaining four youngsters and their coach will remain in the cave for another night.


When it was realised that the boys were in the cave system, divers began the process of trying to find them in the enormous area.

A deluge could overwhelm efforts to lower water levels in the caves - more than 32 million gallons of water were pumped out after the boys were found alive last Monday.

Narongsak said after the first four boys were rescued that they would be quarantined "for a while because we are concerned about infections".

The Thai Navy Seal Facebook page has confirmed reports that eight of the boys have now been rescued.

He did not say how many boys the team hoped to bring out on Monday.

Rescue mission chief Narongsak Osottanakorn said it had resumed, with divers re-entering the cave at 11am local time (4pm NZT). A search led by Thai navy SEALs and joined by volunteer divers from around the world was fruitless until a pair of British divers came up on the hungry but apparently healthy team.

Monday's operation took nine hours, two fewer than Sunday, with rescuers helped by the experience they have accumulated, Narongsak told a news conference punctuated with rounds of applause.

"The rescue has been vast", said volunteer helper Somjit Saenset, 56.

"We have not been told which child has been brought out ..."

The president of soccer's governing body, FIFA, has invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday if they make it out in time.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]